Etelä-Pohjanmaa - Suomen kielen koulutus ENG
In Finland, the official languages, or national languages, are Finnish and Swedish. The Finnish language is the most used in Finland. In Ostrobothnia, the majority language of many municipalities is Swedish while in South Ostrobothnia the language of all municipalities is Finnish.
Learning a local language will help you to integrate in Finland, find work and things to do in your leisure time.
The purpose of integration training is to provide you with sufficient knowledge in Finnish or Swedish to be able to cope in society and work.
If you are registered as a jobseeker at TE Services (Employment Agency), you should fill in an initial survey and integration plan there. If a TE expert assesses that you need Finnish or Swedish skills to get employed, you can get into integration training. The TE Office will advise you when the course starts.
You can find language courses for example at an adult college of a municipality. The enrolment in the courses is usually twice a year, in August for autumn courses and from December for spring courses.
Finnish language self-study
On the internet there are a lot of different Finnish language courses and other material that allows you to study the Finnish language.
FOR EXAMPLE THE FOLLOWING COURSES ARE ON THE INTERNET
- Yle Language School (Kielikoulu) – a service where you can study Finnish or Swedish by viewing Yle’s video content in the application or browser.
- Duolingo – free application, where you can study Finnish and Swedish easily and quickly by doing exercises.
Download the application: : Google Play-kauppa or App store.
Study with a browser: : Finnish: kielikoulu.yle.fi tai Swedish: sprakskolan.yle.fi
- Supisuomea: vocabulary (YLE)
- Supisuomea: videos (YLE)
- Selkouutiset (YLE) – news in simplified Finnish
- Suomen kielen alkeet – Basics of the Finnish language
- Professional vocabularies. North Karelia Adult Education Center Online Materials for Immigrants
- Vocabulary of various professional fields by the Finnish Government
- Hauska tavata! Opin suomea. (Nice to meet you! I am learning Finnish.) (Suomen Kustannusyhdistys).
The basics of the Finnish language are learned in a fun and illustrative way. Through everyday situations, we study greetings, how to introduce yourself, and numbers and expressions of time. Clear example phrases encourage talking. At the end of the book, there is a glossary in Finnish, Swedish, English and Arabic.
- Suomi taskussa (Suomi Taskussa Oy) – Finnish in your pocket. Listen and see how to act in different situations in Finnish, and go and practice yourself.
- Suomea maahanmuuttajille (WordDive Oy). Finnish for immigrants.
The course helps you learn the basics of the Finnish language and includes everyday words and phrases.
- Selkosilta– Clear language materials for professionals in different fields (the care sector, the cleaning services sector, the construction sector, the metal sector, logistics)
- Opi-suomea Learn-Finnish
- Kielitoimistonsanakirja Dictionary of Contemporary Finnish
- Redfox dictionary
- Ilmainen sanakirja
- Selkosilta– photo and video dictionaries for professionals in different fields
- Opetushallinnon sanasto
- Kuvasanakirja– you can also listen to the words
- Rakentaja–construction terms
You can find more different courses in Finnish at InfoFinland: the Finnish language on the Internet — InfoFinland.