- Finland is a republic and a member of the European Union (EU).
- The capital of Finland is Helsinki.
- Finland is divided into self-governed municipalities.
- Åland is an autonomous region of Finland.
- Finland has 5.5 million inhabitants.
- The national languages are Finnish and Swedish.
- There are also Sámi people in Finland. The Sámi are the only indigenous people of the European Union.
- Many Finns speak fluent English.
- In 2021, 86,5% spoke Finnish, 5,2% Swedish, 0,04% Sámi and 8,3% other languages, as their native language (mother tongue) in Finland.
CLIMATE AND GEOGRAPHY
- Finland is located in Northern Europe in the Baltic Sea region.
- Finland is geographically and culturally a part of the Nordic region, that in addition to Finland, includes Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland.
- Finland’s neighbouring countries are Russia (east), Norway (north), Sweden (west) and Estonia (south).
- The surface area of Finland is 338,432 km², which includes the land and inland water areas.
- The currency of Finland is the euro.
CREATING FINNISH WELFARE
Welcome to Finland -Guide (pdf)