Skip navigation
Opiskelija näppäilee tietokoneella


VAASA - Education

Education in Finland is of a high standard. The differences in the learning outcomes of different educational institutions are small, and education in Finland is considered very important. 

Every fifth person you meet on the streets in Vaasa is a student!

In Vaasa you will find school and educational programs in Finnish, Swedish and English languages.

Secondary level education

Secondary education, consists of upper secondary school education and vocational education. 

Upper secondary school  

Upper secondary education is general education and does not give professional qualifications. At the end of upper secondary school, a nationwide matriculation examination is conducted. Upper secondary school usually takes 3 years. 

In Vaasa you have the option to study in Finnish at

  • Vaasan lyseon lukio
  • Vaasan lyseon lukio line for adults (fi: aikuislinja)

In Swedish you can study at

  • Vasa gymnasium
  • Vasa övningsskola
  • Vasa svenska aftonläroverk

Beside these options, 32 new students are accepted each year to study at Vasa övningsskola in the English-language International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, IB.

Read more about upper secondary education in Vaasa (Finnish and Swedish only for now)

Read more about upper secondary school education 

Vocational education  

Vocational education qualifications include vocational undergraduate degrees, professional degrees, and specialist professional degrees. Vocational undergraduate qualifications provide the basic skills required in the field. 

In Vaasa it is possible to study in Finnish or English at Vamia. Swedish and English programs are available at Yrkesakademin.

Apprenticeships are one way to get a vocational training.

Finnish National Agency for Education video: vocational education

Double degree

In practice, a double degree (that is completing several degrees) means that you will simultaneously complete studies on more than one field of education through additional studies. The most common double degree is a matriculation and vocational diploma double degrees. 

TUVA -training

Preparatory education for programmes leading to an upper secondary qualification, TUVA, has previously been known as VALMA. Training gives you the capacity to apply to a degree training, for example, for high school or vocational training. A personal skills development plan is drawn up for the student. Training lasts 38 weeks. Read more about TUVA on the Opintopolku pages (Finnish and Swedish only).

Basic Adult Education

If you didn’t finish comprehensive school and need a final certificate for comprehensive education, you can apply for basic adult education.

In Vaasa basic education for adults is organized by the City of Vaasa at Alma



In Finland, you can complete higher education studies at universities of applied sciences and universities.

Universities of applied sciences offer pragmatic training that meets the needs of working life.  When you graduate from a university of applied sciences, you often get a profession (e.g. engineer, nurse or tradesman).

Universities focus on scientific research and teaching based on it. 

Vaasa is a true student city with 6 universities.

  • University of Vaasa
  • Hanken School of Economics
  • Åbo Akademi University
  • University of Helsinki
  • VAMK University of Applied Sciences
  • NOVIA University of Applied Sciences

Most schools are applied for in a joint application. The joint application is twice a year; in the spring joint application, you apply for training starting in the fall, and in the autumn joint application, you apply for training starting in January of the following year.

Many universities  also have a separate search for e.g. those who have already completed studies at an open university.

Read more about joint application to higher education.

More information on universities of applied sciences.

More information about studying at universities.

Other training

Integration training  

The aim of the integration training is to promote the development of the student’s Finnish or Swedish language skills and other capacities necessary in society and work life and to support the student’s employment or transition to further education.  

When you register at the TE Services as a jobseeker, you will have an initial assessment made and an integration plan together with the TE Office Expert. Usually the plan includes integration training and the TE office will therefore register you to queue for a place in a course. 

Read more about integration training on  

Vocational labour market training: 

The objective of vocational employment training is to complete a basic, professional or specialist professional degree or part of the degree. Training is primarily intended for unemployed or adults under the threat of unemployment. 

Read more about vocational labour market training on

Liberal adult education:  

Educational institutions include folk high schools, adult education centres, summer universities, sports training centres (sports institutes) and learning centres. These educational institutions offer coaching and social studies on civic skills, general education, and increasing knowledge and skills through hobbies. 

In Vaasa it is possible to study at:

Degree recognition

If you have completed your degree in another country than Finland, you need a recognition decision by the Finnish National Agency for Education or other authority. You need a recognition decision if you want to work in a regulated profession or a position for which a certain level of higher education is required. 

Health Care Degrees: 

In Finland, Valvira gives permission to act as a healthcare professional. Valvira is the authorization and control agency for health and social care. 

If you completed your studies 

  • In Finland, you can find the instructions here in Finnish.
  • in another EU country or EEA country, you can find the instructions here
  • Outside an EU country or EEA country, you can find instructions  here

More information on the instructions for the application can be found here 

Regulated professions in Finland 

Regulated professions in Finland | Finnish National Agency for Education ( 

Service Guide for the recognition of qualifications 

Service Guide for the recognition of qualifications | Finnish National Agency for Education ( 

Comparing the level of a university degree from abroad 

Comparing the level of a university degree from abroad| Finnish National Agency for Education ( 

Recognition of qualifications received abroad in Finland 

Recognition of qualifications received abroad in Finland | Finnish National Agency for Education ( 

Recognition of qualifications

Studyinfo – application form – APPLICATION / Recognition of qualifications

Application instructionsValvira